5 Energizing Yoga Poses to Beat that Afternoon Slump
If you’re wondering why you feel so tired when the clock strikes three in the afternoon, it is the mid-afternoon slump that ambushes you where you find yourself in the battle of staying awake. Your body is drained and desperately craves for a nap.
We find you something else to get going and move over that afternoon fall – yoga.
Yoga stretches and asanas help waking up the mind and body to get you back to work without any need of gulping down another cup of coffee, energy drink or a chocolate bar. With the below mentioned five rejuvenating and energizing poses, beat that afternoon slump.
Adho Mukha Savasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose)
When the energy reserves are running low, and you find it difficult to stay awake, then practicing Adho Mukha Savasana works well to recharge your batteries. The asana is a beginner level Ashtanga pose that improves circulation, re-energizes the body, decreases anxiety, and more.
- Stand on the floor on your four limbs in a way that the body forms a table-like structure.
- Breathe out and slowly lift the hips straightening your knees and elbows.
- When you do so, your body forms an inverted V shape.
- Make sure your hands are in line with shoulders and feet with hips.
- Press the hands against the floor, let your ears touch the inner arms, and set the gaze to your navel.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds and release.
Utkatasana (Chair Pose)
Known to be a fierce pose, Utkatasana is powerful, challenging and strengthening at the same time. A basic level Vinyasa pose, it is perfect to beat the afternoon laziness and re-energize the body.
- Stand tall on the floor with the body weight equally distributed on your feet.
- Now bend the knees, keeping the spine straight and then stretch the arms forward and parallel to the floor.
- Keep the chest lifted and pelvis pushed downward and remain comfortable in the pose.
- Now hold the pose for a while and then release, you can take the arms upward over the head for modification.
- Or can bring it close to the chest in Anjali Mudra, and revolve the waist to any of the sides for variation.
Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
The pose provides a wonderful stretch to the body especially to your shoulder and lower body. Trikonasana improves regular bodily functions keeping you energized all day long. This beginner level Vinayas pose is amazing to beat the dreaded afternoon slump.
- Stand on the floor with feet a little wider than hip distance apart and hands placed besides the body.
- Now turn the right foot out to 90-degree angle and left foot slightly backward to a 15-degree angle.
- Now extend your arms outward in a straight line up to the shoulder level and parallel to the ground.
- Now gently tilt your hip and bend towards the right side, keeping the right hand besides the right foot.
- Your left hand should be stretched out towards the ceiling, and both the arms form a straight line.
- Turn the gaze to the left hand, hold the pose for a while, release, and repeat the same on the other side.
Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
When coffee becomes unable to refuel the body with energy, the holistic approach of yoga helps to deal with the afternoon lethargy. With a pose like Ustrasana, one can easily relive tiredness of the post-lunch and make you feel rejuvenated.
- Kneel down on the floor keeping them hip-distance apart and press your feet and shins into the floor.
- Now let your hands rest on your back to support it.
- Your shoulders and knees should be aligned and with a deep breath arch the back gently.
- Now slide the hands over the feet and straighten the arms.
- Keep the neck in a neutral position.
- Hold the pose for 30-60 seconds and then release.
Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Lord of the Fishes Pose)
The pose works really well for those who are sitting at the desk at work and feel like dozing off over the keyword. A basic hatha yoga pose, Ardha Matsyendrasana helps with the spine flexibility, relieves stress, increases circulation, stretches the muscles, relieves stiffness, and reduces fatigue.
- Sit straight on the floor with legs stretched outside and feet together.
- Now bend the right leg in a way that the heel of the right foot is placed beside the left hip.
- Now place the left leg next to the right knee by taking it over the right knee.
- Now turn the waist, shoulders, and neck towards the right setting the gaze over the right shoulder.
- Keep the spine erect and place the left hand behind you and right hand on the left knee.
- Hold the pose for a while, release and repeat the steps on the other side.
The pose can easily be done using a chair if you’re working or have issues in sitting down and performing.
Also, keep your body moving, take walks, avoid carbohydrates in lunch, keep yourself hydrated, and massage your head and face, and try aromatherapy to feel fresh. Yoga is a natural energy booster that adds sparkle to your afternoon to keep you going sans sugar and caffeine.
Meet Our Yoga Teachers
Gabriele (Gaby) Alscher
How to find the best yoga teacher training in Gurgaon
Learning yoga is a life-changing experience that would let you view the world with a different lens. It aims at self-...
Which yoga style works best for your needs
Yoga is an ancient practice, which has its roots in India. The essential role of yoga is to create a powerful and mea...
How to Find the Best Yoga Center in Gurgaon
Gurgaon is widely defined as one of the financial, technological, and industrial hubs of the country. Gurgaon is also...
Aumyogashala 5th International Yoga Day Celebration
International Yoga Day is celebrated every year on the 21st of June to raise awareness among people about the benefit...