“Happiness: a good bank account, a good cook and a good digestion.” ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau
It is said that the foundation of good health is embedded in a proper digestive function. The digestive system is responsible for processing daily food and good digestion also plays an important role in mental health. You metabolize not only food but mental experiences which are useful and getting rid of what is not, thus impacting the digestive system.
And, Ayurvedically, the foundation of healthy physiology lies in a strong digestion. According to the classical texts of Ayurveda, poor digestion is a root cause of several health problems.
Therefore, keeping the digestive health in a state of equilibrium is crucial for optimal assimilation of food, thoughts and creation of Ojas. Easy to digest foods can help you with this. Curious? Well, here it goes:
1. Apples: An apple a day keeps a doctor away goes the adage. Well, we believe it is true. Apples are a rich source of pectin, which is a soluble fiber. The pectin helps to increase stool bulk and movement through the digestive tract. It reduces inflammation in the colon. Therefore, it is the best juicy fruit to ingest for treating constipation, intestinal infections, diarrhea and more.
2. Yogurt: The pristine white yogurt is one of the best foods for digestive problems. It contains good bacteria, the probiotics that assist in improving digestion and keeping the gut healthy. The probiotics naturally occur in the gut, but having yogurt can boost digestion and can help ease digestive issues like bloating and constipation.
3. Chia Seeds: Chia seeds are a source of fiber, an excellent one. The consumption of chia seeds in any manner causes to form a gelatin-like substance in the stomach. They work like probiotic, assisting the development of healthy bacteria in the gut and therein contributing to good digestion. The fiber content of chia seeds promotes healthy bowel movement.
● Eat a bowl of super yummy oats topped with fruits and chia seeds.
● Those having a sweet tooth can turn it healthy by savoring bars with chia seeds.
● You can also add a handful of chia seeds in your smoothies for better digestion.
4. Papaya: The luscious fruit of papaya has a digestive enzyme known as papain. The papain helps break down protein fiber during the digestive process. It soothes the symptoms of irritated bowel syndrome (IBS).
● You can eat papaya in the raw form and enhance your digestion.
● You can add papaya to your dishes to make them interesting and healthy.
● Combine papaya with foods good for digestion to double the effect.
5. Whole Grains: If you want a healthy gut, eat whole grains. The whole grains like oat, quinoa, etc. are high in fiber content, as well as nutrients, such as omega-3 fatty acid. The fiber content and omega-3 fatty acid encourages proper functioning of the cells lining the colon and enhancing digestion in two ways: reducing constipation and adding bulk to the stool.
6. Ginger: It is an Ayurvedic herb and widely used in various cuisines. The root of the ginger is known to accelerate gastric emptying. The consumption of ginger helps move the food quickly through the intestine thus reducing heartburn, nausea, and stomach discomfort.
● Add a dash of ginger in your tea
● Garnish the vegetables with ginger
7. Green Leafy Vegetables: Leafy greens, like spinach, broccoli, kale, etc. are packed with nutrients like folate, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, and fiber. Green leafy vegetables are one of the foods that help digestion as they contain special sugar that fuels healthy digestive bacteria. The magnesium found in green leafy vegetables assist in relieving constipation and enhances muscle contractions in the gastrointestinal tract. Ingest them either in vegetable form or smoothies.
8. Avocado: Avocado is a power food packed with fiber and nutrients that help in digestion, like potassium. It’s known as low-fructose food, so it’s less likely to cause gastric problems. Prepare a salad with nuts and avocado as they are nutrient-dense.
9. Banana: The basic banana is an effective food for digestion. The electrolytes and potassium found in banana help restore the digestive health. It is effective in treating gastric problems and diarrhea.
10. Beetroot: Beetroot is a source of fiber, potassium and magnesium. All these three Gunas aid in digestion and cure problem like constipation.
● Drink beetroot juice
● Eat as raw in salads
● Or place beetroot slices in your sandwiches.
Feel good outside by making your digestive system healthy. Have a happy gut with foods good for digestion.