Top 5 Health Benefits of Paschimottanasana Seated Forward Bend Pose
Paschimottanasana is a Sanskrit word, also known as ‘Seated forward Bend’ or ‘Intense Dorsal Stretch’. The meaning of the word ‘Pashchima’ is west/back and ‘Uttana’ means intense stretch and ‘asana’ means pose.
It falls under the category of the most classical form of Yoga which is – Hatha Yoga. This particular pose is comparatively simple, and also holds a lot of benefits for the body and mind with a long body stretch from the head to heels. It helps to activate your Kundalini Shakti.
This asana majorly helps people suffering from diabetes, high blood pressure, and other ailments.
Best results – Practice this asana early in the morning, before starting your day, with an empty stomach.
(It can be done at any time of the day as well, with an empty stomach or 2 hours after you finish your meal).
How to do?
- Step 1: Sit straight with your legs stretched out in alignment. Keep your toes together, and flexed towards you.
- Step 2: Inhale, raise your arms over your head and stretch.
- Step 3: Exhale, while bending your body forward. Focus on the chin moving towards your toes. Stretch as much as you can.
- Step 4: As you go down, keep your arms stretched out to reach your toes in the nearest possibility of your nose touching the knee.
- (DON’T push too much on the first day, pick up gradually as you build up your resistan
- Step 5: Inhale, and lift up your head slightly up, and try to place your chin over the knees, while keeping your back straight. ce)
- Step 6: Exhale and hold your toes.
- Step 7: Now face your knee with your neck curved in, naturally in this position.
- Step 8: Hold this position for 30 seconds and then slowly stretch out (not with a jerk).
- Step 9: Inhale all the positive energy deeply as you come up.
- Step 10: Now, exhale the negativities and move back slowly to the original position by lowering your arms (Repeat).
Who should ‘avoid’ doing this asana?
- People who are suffering from diarrhea, back injury or asthma.
- Pregnant women.
The top 5 health benefits of Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend Pose)
1. Eliminates Back-Pain Issues
This asana is highly beneficial for people dealing with back pains, stiffness, etc. It also helps loosen up the pressure on the hamstrings and lighten up your heavy shoulders. It effectively helps in the improved flexibility of thighs, hips and lumbar region.
Improving your posture to tone down your spinal cord is the basic principle of having a healthy, functioning body and mind.
2. Calms the Nervous system
This easy and simple asana can help you get rid of all the cluttered stress of your brain. After a few days of continuity, you will be saying bye to anxiety, fatigue, insomnia problems, and also depression by stimulating the increase of blood flow in the nerves. Your nervous system will be rejuvenated and fresh. Let your light-headed, living mind take over the dead cells of your body.
3. Reduce Fat
Paschimottanasana could be difficult to pronounce but not to practice. It hardly takes much of your time and effort. Therefore, is widely practiced by yogis. The consistency assures that the abdominal glands are nourished and works toward reducing obesity on a gradual scale. This asana contributes to curing diseases, improves respiratory functions by focusing on secretions.
Reduce fat with regular practice and work towards making that belly-flop a flat-belly!
4. Helps Improve Digestion
Breathing exercises are an effortless way to help improve your digestive system. It can boot your metabolism on such a scale that your body will start protecting itself and reconnect the broken or corrupt parts of your body, internally. Your organs like kidney, liver, intestines, pancreas, etc. will rewire and also increase your appetite to let the circle going.
5. The smooth functioning of the Reproductive Organs
Seated-Forward-Bend-Pose enhances the blood flow in the lower parts of the body as well, precisely- the pelvic region. All the natural or unnatural discomfort can fade away if you focus on practicing this particular asana. Issues related to menopause, spasms, infertility, menstrual synchronization can be cured of its root including the problems of the uterus, ovaries, and sexual abilities.
The asana is also beneficial for women after giving birth, to heal quickly without any internal complications.
Yoga can be done anywhere. The choices of the indoor and outdoor practice of asanas have reduced the need to go to the gym every week. Become a yogi to relish the benefits of Yoga!
Meet Our Yoga Teachers
Gabriele (Gaby) Alscher
How to find the best yoga teacher training in Gurgaon
Learning yoga is a life-changing experience that would let you view the world with a different lens. It aims at self-...
Which yoga style works best for your needs
Yoga is an ancient practice, which has its roots in India. The essential role of yoga is to create a powerful and mea...
How to Find the Best Yoga Center in Gurgaon
Gurgaon is widely defined as one of the financial, technological, and industrial hubs of the country. Gurgaon is also...
Aumyogashala 5th International Yoga Day Celebration
International Yoga Day is celebrated every year on the 21st of June to raise awareness among people about the benefit...