7 Excellent Benefits of Bhadrasana Gracious Pose
In the Hatha Yoga Pradipika, Bhadrasana (Gracious pose) is listed as one of the four meditative postures. The Gracious pose is a seated posture highly suitable for beginner practitioners and those willing to experience energy and vigor after a long tiring day.
The alignment of the body in the Bhadrasana triggers the Muladhara Chakra and heals all the sufferings of the body and mind. Hence, this pose is known as the ‘destroyer of all diseases’ by the classical Hatha Yoga Pradipika.
In Sanskrit, ‘Bhadra’ means auspicious and ‘Asana’ means pose thus the ‘Bhadrasana’. The Gracious pose offers many health and spiritual advantages to the regular posture practitioners. Let’s start by looking at the steps of the Bhadrasana.
1. Start the pose in a sitting position with legs in front of you.
2. Now, come into a Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose). To come into this posture: sit on your heels with hips touching it. Feet should be placed under the shins, spine straight, and hands on the knees. Balance your head and spine over the pelvic area.
3. For the Gracious posture, separate the knees as wide as possible while toes remain in contact with the floor.
4. Widen the feet to allow the hips to rest on the ground in between the feet.
5. Place the hands on the knees, palms down.
6. When comfortable in the pose, gaze at the nose tip.
Precautions of the pose:
1. People with knee problems should avoid the practice of gracious pose until the suffering persists.
2. Those with joint pain or weakness in the legs should not practice the pose.
3. During the performance of the gracious pose, if you experience discomfort or strain, please discontinue the practice.
4. Students can practice gracious pose by placing a blanket under the hips for extra comfort.
The Health Benefits of Gracious Pose:
1. Invigorates the System: The Bhadrasana is therapeutic for fatigue. After an exhaustive day, sit for a few seconds in the gracious pose and holistically energize your body, mind, and soul. Gracious posture naturally rejuvenates the body and makes you feel fresh.
2. Feel Stable and Confident: By activating the Muladhara Chakra located at the base of the spine, the Bhadrasana fosters feelings of safety, inner stability, and confidence. Muladhara Chakra forms the basis of our spiritual development. Through Muladhara Chakra, we receive nourishment and are able to progress towards the state of self-realization.
3. Rest in Tranquility: As Bhadrasana is a meditative posture, its practice is calming for the brain. The gracious pose reduces hyper mental activity and allows it the space to rest in peace and tranquility. In the gracious pose, the pranic energy is directed upwards that confers the practitioners with a healthy body and mind.
4. Flexible Legs: Practice the Bhadrasana regularly and gradually you shall notice flexible legs. The gracious pose holistically increases the pliancy of leg muscles along with hamstrings, quadriceps, thighs, and more. So, reap the healthy and flexible benefits of bhadrasana through its regular performance.
5. Strong Back: The gracious pose promotes a healthy and strong spinal column. During the performance of the posture, the spine is stretched that helps in restoring its natural curve and assists in alleviating a backache. People who have sedentary jobs can practice the Bhadrasana for a healthy back.
6. Treats Stomach Problems: The Bhadrasana is a natural and safe method for treating acidity, constipation, and several stomach problems. The posture is believed to enhance the digestive process of the practitioners. Good digestion is one of the well-known health benefits of gracious pose.
7. Spiritual Benefits: For decades, yogis have practiced Bhadrasana for reaping the spiritual benefits. The classical texts mention gracious yoga posture as one of the ideal asanas to practice Dhyana. As it is a simple yoga pose, practitioners from different yoga levels can perform it with ease for unfolding the spiritual rewards.
Stay healthy, peaceful, and confident with the practice of Bhadrasana (Gracious yoga pose)
Meet Our Yoga Teachers
Gabriele (Gaby) Alscher
How to find the best yoga teacher training in Gurgaon
Learning yoga is a life-changing experience that would let you view the world with a different lens. It aims at self-...
Which yoga style works best for your needs
Yoga is an ancient practice, which has its roots in India. The essential role of yoga is to create a powerful and mea...
How to Find the Best Yoga Center in Gurgaon
Gurgaon is widely defined as one of the financial, technological, and industrial hubs of the country. Gurgaon is also...
Aumyogashala 5th International Yoga Day Celebration
International Yoga Day is celebrated every year on the 21st of June to raise awareness among people about the benefit...